Monday, January 5, 2015

How Far We've Come... Dining Room!

I'm super excited to share with you our home improvement goals for 2015 (there are many!) As we do this, I would also like to take a walk down memory lane and look room by room at how the spaces have transformed since we moved into this house 3.5 years ago. Sometimes I forget how much work and how much love has gone into making this house a home!

Let's start with the dining room... Here is what it looks like the day we moved in!


This was the first room we tackled in terms of painting. We couldn't wait to dive in!

We painted the room Martha Stewart's "Falcon," which is a deep grayish green.

We started with a small Pottery Barn table we had in our apartment and the drapery panels that came with the house.

Eventually we got this BIGGER dining room table from Pottery Barn outlet, which we primed and painted. Overall we just wanted space for more people at the table (and one that didn't look so puny in the room!)

The transformation for this room really came when we had the floors refinished! We also got new drapes from Pottery Barn. These are the "Peyton Grommet Drapes." Overall I think these changes made the room feel much more warm, cozy, and sophisticated.

Here are a couple of pictures with the furniture... Decorated for my birthday and for fall!


Here is a good shot of what the far side of the dining room looked like before we started the kitchen renovation... So many walls!

And soon... those walls were GONE!

And here is the room as it looked during this past Thanksgiving! We increased the size of the table once again. Evan custom made this table for me, you can see the tutorial here. We also added a beautiful little cabinet for more storage and of course, a high chair for Miles! Overall, this room has certainly come a very long way!

For 2015, the goal for this room is to get a nice, sisal rug to go under the table to define the space a little more. Annnnd maybe play with a new color on the walls? Maybe? We'll see! I'm also dreaming of some new chairs, but not sure that is a top priority for this year.


Come back tomorrow to see the evolution of our kitchen!








6 comments:

  1. it's beautiful! I LOVE the gray and white paint choices, they make the room look really fresh and airy. i can't wait to have a real dining room someday :) xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, love your dining room! :)

    Just an FYI, I have that exact sisal rug you posted that you might get, and I wanted to let you know it stains horribly. I am on my second one, and it even gets water stains (so you can't use water or anything to clean it). If anyone spills, its pretty much a permanent stain. I'm not sure why I repurchased it (I got a different brand the second time - first time was rugsusa, second time overstock). Stained it within a month! Grr. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know before you invest $200+. I am thinking of going with a jute rug or another similar alternative that can be cleaned when I replace this one for the second time. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paige - I CANNOT thank you enough for sharing your experience with the rug! Seriously, this is invaluable! I was already concerned about the durability of it given the fact I have a very messy child (and husband!) and this just reaffirms that this is probably not the right rug. (Probably? Definitely!) Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! So appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing the details of your story with readers. I really love the simplicity of the style and design. The colors are modern and not too busy. You've certainly stirred my imagination with your beautiful room designs. I really love those bare wood floors. They lend a certain simple elegance to the entire room. Cheers and good luck!

    Jeffrey Holmes @ NJ Window Treatments

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these pictures, so beautiful! I'd love to use a few of your ideas for my upcoming home improvement (done by homeexpert, the best home improvement service in Aberdeen).
    All the best for you!

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10